tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Tomact 5 - Out of Memory
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:02:20 GMT

Hi,

>But hey, I thought one of the big selling points is that Java DOES NOT
>LEAK!
>Am I mistaken? Isn't it's absence of pointers its big plus? If it does
leak
>then changing the heap size is going to be irrelevant. No matter how
large
>you set it it will bite you in the bum eventually!

;(  You're mistaken unfortunately, and what's worse is that you're not
alone by far.  Java by itself doesn't leak, but it's not hard to write
code that unintentionally keeps references to objects.

Here are some references, but the topic is easy to find on Google or
various Java forums:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/java/library/j-leaks/

http://www.adtmag.com/java/articleold.asp?id=165

http://sys-con.com/story/?storyid=44716&DE=1

http://www.theserverside.com/articles/content/J2EEPerformance/Eliminatin
g_memory_leaks.html

http://www.hp.com/products1/unix/java/infolibrary/prog_guide/diag_memory
_leaks.html

It goes on and on... I've given examples on this list in the past of
some common servlet-related leaks too.

Yoav