tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: concurrency management
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 13:20:16 GMT

Hi,
If two users are on the app at the same time, both accessing the
database at the same time, and both have write privileges to the same
data, you are responsible for synchronization to suit your goals.  This
might mean no sync at all, meaning a simple race.  That's not
necessarily a bad thing, it depends on your app.  Many people think a
race condition is always a bad thing, and it's not.

If your application requires transactions, you will need to download the
JTA (you can get it by itself from java.sun.com, don't download the
whole J2EE jar) and an implementation thereof, e.g. Tyrex or JOTM, and
code your app to use it.  You can do this within Tomcat without going to
JBoss or another full-fledged J2EE server.  However, again depending on
your sync requirements and surrounding architecture, you might want to
get a full J2EE server which would have JTA support built-in.

BTW, JOTM is an excellent product, we use in production and like it.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics