tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Dale, Matt" <Matt.D...@beCogent.com>
Subject RE: Tomact 5 - Out of Memory
Date Wed, 04 Aug 2004 18:01:47 GMT

Java doesnt leak in the same vein as other languages but you can still get memory leaks by
retaining references to objects after they are not required any more.

-----Original Message-----
From: Jon Doe [mailto:mobilephantasy@hotmail.com]
Sent: 04 August 2004 17:18
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Re: Tomact 5 - Out of Memory

>From: David Smith <dns4@cornell.edu>
>To: Tomcat Users List <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
>Subject: Re: Tomact 5 - Out of Memory
>Date: Wed, 04 Aug 2004 07:38:57 -0400
>
>I would set JAVA_OPTS in the startup script you're using to start
>Tomcat. There are loads of emails on the list regarding this. This issue
>is common enough you should be able to google the archives for details
>and get loads of responses.

Fair point -- if you haven't enough memory overhead, then until the garbage
collector kicks in to free objects up you will have a problem.

>Also as others have suggested, check your code for memory leaks --
>especially if it's not under load when it dies.

But hey, I thought one of the big selling points is that Java DOES NOT LEAK!
Am I mistaken? Isn't it's absence of pointers its big plus? If it does leak
then changing the heap size is going to be irrelevant. No matter how large
you set it it will bite you in the bum eventually!