tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Maigatter <Mark.Maigat...@Scene7.com>
Subject Java process growth under Linux...leak?
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 16:20:31 GMT
We have a Tomcat 5.0.25 based web site for uploading images and assorted
files and managing them.

We have found that the Java process that Tomcat is running under is
gradually growing when repetitively processing files uploaded and stripped
out of the form submissions by the Apache FileUpload component.  All signs
point to a memory leak?

Upon the submission of about 500 files we had a 31MB growth in the size of
the java process using "top".

However, the Sun Java jvmstat shows that the Java heap is staying relatively
constant.  The "-gc" numbers fluctuate in a manner that shows reasonable
garbage collection activity and the total used across the s0/s1/eden/old
stay with the range for the initial numbers.

My question is what would you recommend to isolate the process growth?

Is there a way within Java to see the underlying process growth to help
isolate it in the processing cycle?

--mark