tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Rickard <David.Rick...@GTSCompanies.com>
Subject System Clock Issues with Webapps
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2004 17:28:24 GMT
Server: SunOS 5.9 Generic_112233-07 sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
Apache: 2.0.47
Tomcat: 4.1.29

Our server is used by divisions in multiple timezones, so the system clock
is set to UTC to simplify log writing etc;
Each system user--including root--has a profile which masks the system
clock to the appropriate time zone; root is masked to US-Pacific, the
physical location of the server (confirmed by running "date" as root).
Apache and Tomcat run as root processes and should use root's profile;
however, they sometimes "bypass" the profile and report UTC date/time value
(evidenced by outputting the value of a java.util.Date in a JSP).
Doing an Apache/Tomcat restart will correct this system--so that our time
JSP reports US-Pacific time as expected; however, Apache/Tomcat will revert
(usually in less than a day) to reporting UTC time.
Any ideas on why this is happening? and how we can correct it?

--

David Rickard
Software Engineer

The GTS Companies:
GTS Publishing Services, GTS Graphics, GTS Innova:
Your Single-Source Solution!
Los Angeles CA  *  York, PA  *  Boston MA  *  New Delhi, India

David.Rickard@GTSCompanies.com
Visit us on the World Wide Web
http://www.gtscompanies.com
5650 Jillson St., Los Angeles, CA 90040