tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Allistair Crossley" <Allistair.Cross...@QAS.com>
Subject RE: Strage Behaviour - Tomcat Memory Leak
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:36:31 GMT
	As Yoav points out, this is quite normal. I also run JProbe and if you just leave it alone,
very small memory usage is made and at regular intervals the GC will jump in, producing your
saw tooth (since the GC will only jump in when it really thinks the heap needs clearing out
is why it gets quite high).

	Also when you say the "heap is totally filled" I don;t think you mean that the total memory
available to Tomcat is filled, e.g 128-512MB or whatever. What you mean is that the heap used
is filled and I bet that heap size is actually only about 7Mb or so if as you claim it is
just a startup of Tomcat. Therefore it is quite possible that it looks alarming but it is
not really.

	Cheers, ADC.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Peter Lin [mailto:woolfel@gmail.com]
	Sent: Thu 05/08/2004 17:55
	To: Tomcat Users List
	Subject: Re: Strage Behaviour - Tomcat Memory Leak

	I've used JProfiler in the past and I found it somewhat unreliable,
	since it is pretty heavy weight. I should say it was based on a half
	dozen tests using JProfiler and not a scientific evaluation.

	it was the free eval version a couple years back. I find optimizeIt
	more reliable for me and a little less heavy weight. I've use
	OptimizeIt in the past and tomcat without any requests shows flat
	memory usage. in other words constant.

	peter