tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: serialized objects invalidating session
Date Wed, 11 Aug 2004 04:37:56 GMT
Try using this session binding listener (see attached) with the following
configuration in web.xml...

     <listener>
         <listener-class>org.mypackage.servlet.MySessionBindingListener</listener-class>
     </listener>

That should log any session activity as it happens.

BTW, you mentioned that you were implementing Serializable and then went on
to say that you weren't doing anything with readObject() and writeObject()
(which is perfectly fine), but never mentioned whether you had a member
variable which wasn't, itself, Serializable.  This would cause your object
to not be serializable.  Like I said before, try setting some strings to
the session and see if they come back alright after restart.  You might
also want to delete the "work" directory and start fresh.  Have you done
anything with Tomcat's configuration?  If so, try blowing away Tomcat and
starting fresh.  Tomcat persists sessions just fine.  Take Yoav's advice
and do a serialization test outside the container using
ObjectOutputStream.  For instance...

String hello = "hello world";
ByteArrayOutputStream byteOut = new ByteArrayOutputStream();
ObjectOutputStream objectOut = new ObjectOutputStream(byteOut);
objectOut.writeObject(hello);
objectOut.close();
ByteArrayInputStream byteIn = new ByteArrayInputStream(byteOut.toByteArray());
ObjectInputStream objectIn = new ObjectInputStream(byteIn);
String helloDeserialized = (String) objectIn.readObject();

Just replace the "hello" string with your own object and see what happens.

BTW, the stdOut.log file getting cleared upon restart is expected behavior.

Jake