tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Francois JEANMOUGIN" <Francois.JEANMOU...@123multimedia.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.0.19 memory issue, probably AJP connector, AJP connector parameters
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 12:29:14 GMT

Michael Echerer [mailto:mech@tngtech.com]
>   <Connector port="8041"
>                enableLookups="false" redirectPort="8443" debug="0"
>                maxThreads="50" minSpareThreads="50" maxSpareThreads="50"
>                acceptCount="10"
>                protocol="AJP/1.3" />
>
> But minSpareThreads and maxSpareThreads are simply ignored and still
> default to
> 4, resp. 50 threads. How can this be? Do I have to change the parameter
> names
> to something else? What's the correct setting?

A spare thread is a free thread waiting for connection. Putting maxThreads
and minSpareThreads to 50 is nonsense. See, if you have one connection, there
will be only 49 spare threads available, so you could never reach the
minSpareThreads value, even at startup. I'm not a tomcat developer, but I
feel that such a parameter will be simply ignored.

Discarding the fact that you HAVE to upgrade to 5.0.2+ to avoid memory leak,
correct parameters could be:
maxThreads="50" minSpareThreads="10" maxSpareThreads="20" acceptCount="10"

That means:
- You will have 50 clients max connected to your webapps (with AJP13, it will
be the number of apache threads connected to the corresponding worker).
- You will accept 10 more connections (pending in queue, if I understand
correctly the acceptCount parameter). I really can't see how this parameter
can work properly with AJP13 and Apache, anyway. I'd say you will probably be
locked at 50 clients anyway (because the apache threads won't release the
connection frequently if you have KeepAlive on).
- You will have a minimum of 10 and a maximum of 20 free threads waiting for
apache connections.

HTH,

François.

Décharge / Disclaimer

Ce message et toutes les pièces jointes (ci-après le "message") sont confidentiels et établis
à l'intention exclusive des destinataires. Toute utilisation ou diffusion non autorisée
est interdite. Tout message électronique étant susceptible d'altération, 123Multimédia
et ses filiales déclinent toute responsabilité au titre de ce message s'il a été altéré,
déformé ou falsifié.

This message and any attachments (the "message") are confidential and intended solely for
the addressees. Any unauthorised use or dissemination is prohibited. E-mails are susceptible
to alteration. Therefore neither 123Multimédia nor any of its subsidiaries or affiliates
shall be liable for the message if altered, changed or falsified.