tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Villar <john.vil...@florhard.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat 5.0.27 Set Up Problem
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:13:44 GMT

>I have downloaded the Tomcat 5.0.27 on the Windows XP
>(I have JDK installed OKay and tested). I am able to
>start the server; however I got HTTP Status 404 error.
>
>I primarily followed Marty's Hall's instruction for
>configuration at the web site
>http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html
>
>Nonetheless, I think his instruction is sort of out of
>date. Here is what I have done:
>
>1. (done) downloaded and unzipped
>jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27
>
>2. (problem) Marty Hall says "To enable it, uncomment
>the following line in the
>C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\conf\server.xml:"
><Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>
>
>But, I do not find <Context path="" docBase="ROOT"
>debug="0"/>
>in the server.xml. I installed the Tomcal 4.1.18
>before, the
><Context ... > tag was there.

Your freshly installed tomcat 5.0.27 (Update to 5.0.28) is prepared to
function right out-of-the-box

>3. (done) I have followed Marty Hall's instruction and
>enabled the invoker servlet by uncommenting the
>following servlet-mapping element in
>C:\jarkata-tomcat-5.0.27/conf/web.xml
>
><servlet-mapping>
><servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
><url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
></servlet-mapping>
>
>4. (problem) Marty Hall says to "turn on servlet
>reloading" by insert the following line:
><DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>
>
>just below the comment "<!-- Define properties for
>each web application. This is only needed if you want
>to set non-default properties, or have web application
>document roots in places other than the virtual host's
>appBase
>directory. -->
>
>I DO NOT FIND that comment in the
>C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\conf\server.xml anymore!

Why do you want to enable the invoker servlet?.... tomcat can function
properly without it.....

>5. (done) set the JAVA_HOME variable
>
>6. (not necessary) change DOS memory settings: If you
>use an older version of Windows, you may also have to
>change the DOS memory settings for the startup and
>shutdown scripts.
>
>I am using the Windows XP; therefore, I do not think
>that I have to change DOS memeroy settings.
>
>7. I edited C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\bin\catalina.bat
>and inserted the following after the first set of
>comments:
>
>if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" goto gotJavaHome
>set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.0_02
>:gotJavaHome

It's much better to run Tomcat as a service on WindowsXP....

>8. (done) The "Automatically detect settings" checkbox
>in IExplorer Connections is unchecked.
>
>9. (problem) Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet
>Options -->
>Connections --> Lan Settings --> check the box of
>Bypass proxy server for local addresses
>
>The Bypass proxy server for local addresses is grayed
>out, I cannot check the box.

If you haven't a proxy server configured, you don't have to check that
box.....

--
John Villar
Gerente de Proyectos