tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat deployment issue
Date Wed, 25 Aug 2004 18:09:30 GMT
David Chang wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm new to tomcat and trying to figure out how to deploy a WAR file without deleting
all the contents of the old application.  That is, I want to overwrite the files with my new
archive but not delete any other files that were already there.

> The reason I want to do this is because my data and program files are all under the same
hierarchy.  I want to replace my programs, but not my data.  I tried using a symbolic link
for my data directory, but tomcat followed the symbolic link and deleted everything in there
when expanding the new WAR file.

> Any help would be appreciated.
>
> DC

Sure,  but what it sounds like you want to do is just name the context
differently.  When you deploy the war file if you currently have
/mywebapp1 then name it /mywebapp2.  You'll now have to versions of your
webapp deployed on the server in two seperate directories.  You just
have to access them differently.

It also sounds like you need to come up with a different scheme for your
data storage.  Maybe place your data store some where else and simply
have a config file option that tells your app where the data lies?
Maybe something like that.  Give your app the brains to create it's data
dir based on that setting and give that dir permissions for the user you
are running tomcat as.  If you don't want to put the data out yourself
you app can the first time it is ran and if it is there simply use it.
Of course you'll have to have a code module for data upgrades or
something if you ever need to change your data structure...unless you
keep that basically backward compat some how.

Wade