tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Hiroshi Iwatani <HGA03...@nifty.ne.jp>
Subject Re: [OT] Re: Have you implemented a Java server faces site?
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2004 07:22:02 GMT
Sorry for being late for replying.

Parts of our project which use JSF use only its safa and proven
features like value-binding and method-binding for components.

We don't think we need customize renderers, components, and/or
view technology for our simple and mundane app structure.

JSF is quite convenient for not-so-advanced project like ours.

V D wrote:

> Thank you for the reply.  I happened to read that article too.  I also
> have the book the guy wrote.  I'll look into the rendering part using
> XML.  It would be better if it's supported out of the box though.
> Hopefully the next version will address this.  I did write a simple
> struts app before, and JSP seems to be better architecturally, and
> simpler to use though.  The problem I have with it is that you can not
> programmatically display the view easily.  What I mean is that in the
> JSP page, there is not much way to put your code there.  For example,
> one of my requirement is that depending on a situation, 1 or more tables
> must be shown.  You can see from the article that mixing tag lib and JSF
> is prohibited in a loop.  Also, in a purist sense, data preparation for
> the display should also stay in the JSP file, not the back bean.  This
> means it has to support programming in there.  I can just create another
> class/bean to do this, but it becomes so many files just do something,
> and isn't JSP supposed to be the view part?  I think it's perfectly ok
> to put any type of java programming in the view as long as that code
> only is used for the view, not application logic.  Anyway, I will
> investigate if I can some how satisfy all my requirements with this
> technology.  I was very commited to JSF, until I read the first link you
> sent me.  The fact that it's very recent (august 10) causes me unease
> with this technology.  Since it seems that you did implemented a full
> app successfully, if you don't mind, could you share your experience and
> how did your project go?  Thanks.
>
> Hiroshi Iwatani wrote:
>
>> Oh yes. But ...
>>
>> V D wrote:
>>

>>> Thank you very much for the link.  I also did some work on JSF too,
>>> and see its strength and weakness.  Unfortunately, the guy doing the
>>> evaluation in the link below did not dig deep enough or use any GUI IDE
>>

>> See links linked from the theserverside page, that is, from the readers
>> light and superficial one.
>>
>>> such as the Java Creator or IBM's tool.  Some of his points are valid
>>> though.  I see other problems myself.  One of them is the ability to
>>> create customized view, component, or renderer.  They all involves
>>> java objects (which is not easily changable), and very elaborate.  To
>>> have a render, you have to have a tag file, a tag class, a
>>> configuration, and the renderer class. Unbelievable!
>>

>> Tags are only for JSP presentation. You could use a better presentation
>> technology if you want. See this article:
>> http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2004/06/09/jsf.html
>>
>> Personally, I feel JSF has saved my life in the Web development sea.
>> It's simple, easy to use, and more effective than Struts et al.

Hiroshi Iwatani

*stop cruelty* Annual number of institutionally euthanized cats and dogs
including kittens and puppies: US 5 million, JP 500 thousand. How about your
country? *for our better karma*