tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Frans Flippo <frans.fli...@quinity.com>
Subject Subclassing DefaultServlet
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2004 12:42:06 GMT
Hi,

I've added some functionality to DefaultServlet by subclassing it (i.e.
we need to do some special processing to certain URLs, for others I will
just call super.doGet(...)). I compiled the DefaultServlet subclass
against Tomcat's servlets-default.jar in server/lib and deployed it in
my web application (adding a relevant servlet mapping to my web.xml).

When I first tried it I got a ClassNotFoundException for DefaultServlet,
probably due to the fact that the Tomcat server and the web applications
use seperate class loaders, so our web application's class loader does
not have a copy of DefaultServlet loaded. I had to copy several JARs
from server/lib to my web application's WEB-INF/lib directory, including
servlets-default.jar, which contains DefaultServlet. I'd rather just
refer to the JARs in server/lib, though. That way I know that when the
web application is deployed to a newer version of Tomcat, the
DefaultServlet I'm subclassing from and the one Tomcat uses will be the
same.

Besides symlinking, is there any way achieve this? Can I tell tomcat to
also include server/lib in the classpath for my webapp?

Thanks in advance,
Frans

--
Quinity : Your Partner In eBusiness Solution Delivery

Biltstraat 449
3572 AW Utrecht
P.O. Box 13097
3507 LB Utrecht
The Netherlands

Telephone: (+31) (0)30 2335999
Fax      : (+31) (0)30 2335998
WWW      : http://www.quinity.com
and/or privileged material. Any review, retransmission,
dissemination or other use of, or taking of any action in
reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other
than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received
this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material
from any computer. Quinity is neither liable for the proper and
complete  transmission of the information contained in this
communication nor for any delay in its receipt.