tomcat-users mailing list archives

From V D <st946...@drexel.edu>
Subject [OT] Re: Have you implemented a Java server faces site?
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:05:05 GMT

Thank you for the reply.  I happened to read that article too.  I also
have the book the guy wrote.  I'll look into the rendering part using
XML.  It would be better if it's supported out of the box though.
Hopefully the next version will address this.  I did write a simple
struts app before, and JSP seems to be better architecturally, and
simpler to use though.  The problem I have with it is that you can not
programmatically display the view easily.  What I mean is that in the
JSP page, there is not much way to put your code there.  For example,
one of my requirement is that depending on a situation, 1 or more tables
must be shown.  You can see from the article that mixing tag lib and JSF
is prohibited in a loop.  Also, in a purist sense, data preparation for
the display should also stay in the JSP file, not the back bean.  This
means it has to support programming in there.  I can just create another
class/bean to do this, but it becomes so many files just do something,
and isn't JSP supposed to be the view part?  I think it's perfectly ok
to put any type of java programming in the view as long as that code
only is used for the view, not application logic.  Anyway, I will
investigate if I can some how satisfy all my requirements with this
technology.  I was very commited to JSF, until I read the first link you
sent me.  The fact that it's very recent (august 10) causes me unease
with this technology.  Since it seems that you did implemented a full
app successfully, if you don't mind, could you share your experience and
how did your project go?  Thanks.