tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Wade Chandler <wchand...@redesetgrow.com>
Subject Re: CGI for tomcat on linux
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 02:30:48 GMT
Havens, Peter wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I am trying to get CGI working on tomcat 4.1.29 in a RedHat Linux
> environment.  I have all ready got it working on my Windows environment
> and it is working great.  It seems to be quite easy and I followed the
> instructions exactly as they are found here:
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/cgi-howto.html
>
> I did these same steps on both my Windows and my LINUX box but I keep
> getting an error 500 on my LINUX box.  I have included the exception
> that I am seeing on the browser when I try to access my cgi executable.
> I have tried many different executables and scripts but I always get the
> same response.
>
> There error seems to imply that the cgi file that I am trying to run
> does not exist.  I have validated its location and the permissions to
> the file are wide open.
>
> Has anyone run in to this before or do you know why I am getting this?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> -Peter
>
> Below is the exception report

> ----
>
> HTTP Status 500
>
> type Exception report
>
> message
>
> description The server encountered an internal error () that prevented
> it from fulfilling this request.
>
> exception
>
> java.io.IOException: java.io.IOException:
> "/opt/hpwebadmin/webapps/mxhelp/WEB-INF/cgi/namazucgi": not found
> 	at java.lang.UNIXProcess.(Unknown Source)
> 	at java.lang.Runtime.execInternal(Native Method)
> 	at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
> 	at java.lang.Runtime.exec(Unknown Source)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet$CGIRunner.run(CGIServlet.java:15
> 92)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.servlets.CGIServlet.doGet(CGIServlet.java:635)
> 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:740)
> 	at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:853)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.internalDoFilter(Applica
> tionFilterChain.java:247)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.access$000(ApplicationFi
> lterChain.java:98)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain$1.run(ApplicationFilterC
> hain.java:176)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.core.ApplicationFilterChain.doFilter(ApplicationFilt
> erChain.java:172)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardWrapperValve.invoke(StandardWrapperValv
> e.java:256)
> 	at
> org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline$StandardPipelineValveContext.i
> nvokeNext(StandardPipeline.java:643)
> 	at
> [...]

Don't forget that your file system is more than likely case sensitive.
People run into this alot on Linux when they are used to windows.  CGI,
cGI, CgI, etc etc etc....is the same on windows and yet would be
different on Linux.  There are file systems that are case insensitive,
but all the common file systems are case sensitive.

Wade