tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ruth, Brice" <>
Subject Re: special chars : é è ê ï etc...
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 21:45:26 GMT
Thai DANG wrote:

>Hi all
>I have troubles with accent.
>Sometimes, tomcat displays the accent with a "?" instead. I think it is a java configuration
>I have the version 5.0.27 and this is what I use to launch tomcat :
>export JAVA_OPTS="-server"
>export CATALINA_OPTS="-Djava.awt.headless=true -Dfile.encoding=UTF-8 -Ddcm.home=$installDir
>compiler.emacs=true -Djava.library.path=$installDir/lib -Xms256m -Xmx256m -XX:PermSize=128m
>Note that $installDir is a custom dir with no importance

Are these characters encoded directly in the JSP or loaded via message
bundles? How are they being output to the browser? What encoding are you
using for the output? UTF-8? The default (ISO-8859-1) will not display
these characters correctly.

Brice Ruth, Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands Inc

To unsubscribe, e-mail: