tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michiel Toneman <Michiel.Tone...@bibit.com>
Subject Re: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 14:57:47 GMT

In addition to Yoav's comment, you may also want to check on the number
of sessions that get created. I know that JRun3 didn't create a session
when it wasn't necessary to do so, Tomcat 5 (as per servlet spec.)
always creates a session. Typically webcrawlers don't 'do' cookies, so a
new session gets created for each request. This can of course have a
significant effect on memory.

Regards,

Michiel

Matt He wrote:

>Hi,
>
>We upgraded our Tomcat server from 3.0 to 5.1.19 about two months ago (linux
>machine). Since then it frequently crashed (twice a week). It seems like the
>crash was caused a web crawler. This web crawler generate many threads and
>quickly drained server memory. The log file showed
>java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. When we use Tomcat 3, this crawler didn't cause
>this problem.
>

>Does anyone have any suggestion on how to solve this problem (we don't want
>to block this crawler)?
>

>Thanks.
>

>Matt

Michiel Toneman  Software Engineer   Bibit Global Payment Services
Regulierenring 10  3981 LB  Bunnik       Michiel.Toneman@bibit.com
Tel. +31-30-6595168  Fax +31-30-6564464      http://www.bibit.com/