tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>
Subject Re: Weird context.xml default application problem
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:30:49 GMT
I've heard mentioned that in the Tomcat codebase, "ROOT" is treated as a
special identifier.

As for your problem ... I believe that Tomcat does not support
deployment of the default context from the META-INF directory of your
web-app. You need to explicitly configure it from server.xml or from the
conf/Catalina/localhost directory. What you've seen is essentially that
... it will automatically put it in the proper directory, but it will
stop short of configuring the default context for you.

Brice

Keith Bottner wrote:

>This is strange!
>
>When I package my application and deploy it my context.xml file that is
>contained within the META-INF directory is copied to the
>CATALINA_BASE/conf/Catalina/localhost/app.xml properly.  Here is the file
>for reference:
>

><Context path="" docBase="app" debug="3" privileged="true"
>reloadable="false" >
>
></Context>
>
>My server does NOT recognize this as the default web application, instead it
>lists the directory contents for the webapps directory. BUT, and here is the
>weird part. If I manually edit the file and add or remove a line and restart
>appropriately, it then does get recognized as the default application. Any
>ideas? Or am I just getting lucky that it ever gets recognized as the
>default app and I should be setting this directly in server.xml? And how
>does the default install of tomcat always seem to recognize ROOT as the
>default even though there is no settings in server.xml or a context.xml file
>associated with it?
>
>Thanks in advance for any help,
>
>Keith

Brice Ruth, Sr. IT Analyst