tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Ruth, Brice" <br...@fiskars.com>
Subject Re: horrible problems with TC4.1 under RedHat Advanced Server
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 16:14:15 GMT
Just as an FYI - with Sun's JVM, on Redhat ES 2.1 systems, I've seen no
problems ... we've been running a production system which averages about
57K visitors, 768K page views a month - on Tomcat 4.1.27 and Sun's 1.4.2
JDK (RPM install).

This is running a slightly modified Rackspace kernel derivative of 2.4.9.

Chong Yu Meng wrote:

> I think RHAS is running NPTL.
>
> If you're using IBM's Java 1.4, 1.3.x or earlier and RH9, RHEL, RHAS ,
> you need to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL=2.2.5.
> If you're using IBM's Java 1.4.1 or better on RH9, RHEL (not sure
> about RHAS), you don't need to set LD_ASSUME_KERNEL at all
> If you're using IBM's Java 1.4.1 or better on Fedora Core 2, you
> definitely need to upgrade your kernel version to 2.6.6-1 or better.
> Though, if you're using the latest 2.6.6-1.435.2.3, you may get some
> strange problems if you're running on a Thinkpad, so use the earlier
> 2.6.6-1.435 (if you can do without the security update).
>
> I have not used Sun's Java on Red Hat systems, so I cannot say what
> will happen.
>
> I have used Blackdown's 1.4.1, compiled with gcc 3.2 on FC2 and they
> work fine, even on the stock install kernel (though freezes can still
> happen). Although benchmarks (Volano Report) show Blackdown to be
> slower and possibly less scalable, I find that it performs on a wider
> range of Linux platforms.
>
> I find the following procedure helps me to identify the problem:
>
> After installing Java on your system, just execute "java -version". If
> you get a segmentation fault, you should try setting LD_ASSUME_KERNEL
> to 2.2.5, then 2.4.1. 2.2.5 bypasses the NPTL. See which setting works
> for you.
>
> If you don't get a segmentation fault, try running the SwingSet2
> application which should come with your Java distribution. On FC2's
> stock kernel, this can freeze your desktop so bad that you'll need to
> power down your system manually. Upgrade to the latest (or next to
> latest kernel) and you should be fine.
>
> There may be other problems I'm not aware of. Please post them here.
> I'm especially interested in hearing from people using the Sun JVM.
>
> Regards,
> pascal chong
>

> Peter Lin wrote:
>
>> this is most definitely an issue with glibc, since I've seen it in the
>> past on my machine. I've had it happen with Sun jvm and IBM jvm for
>> redhat in the past.
>>
>> your best bet is to search the redhat mailing list for solutions to
>> the problem.
>>
>> peter
>>
>> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 10:54:51 -0700, David Rees
>> <drees@greenhydrant.com> wrote:

>>> It's definitely some sort of JVM/OS issue, and not directly related to
>>> Tomcat.  What glibc version are you running, are you running all errata
>>> for the system (up2date)?  Also upgarde to the latest JDK, and finally,
>>> if it is still not stable, try a LD_ASSUME_KERNEL setting of 2.2.5.
>>>
>>> -Dave

Brice Ruth, Sr. IT Analyst
Fiskars Brands Inc
http://www.fiskarsbrands.com/