tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Dai <ddai...@ddai.net>
Subject Re: [tomcat] Re: Understanding tomcat web administration tool.
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 19:23:34 GMT
The "HTTP Status 400 - Invalid direct reference to form login page"
error is because you've stayed in the login page for too long that the
session associated with that login has expired.

It works something like this in tomcat:

When you request a protected resource and you're not authenticated
(either first time visit or previous session expired), a new session is
created and the request (URL and query string if any) is saved in the
session (in the part that internal to tomcat and not visible to webapp I
believe). Then you're forwarded to the login page. After you put in your
login credentials and the authentication is successful, the saved
request is pulled out and you're redirected to the original requested
resource.

If that session expired and thus the server couldn't find the saved
request, you'll get that "Invalid direct reference to form login page"
error.

This is part of the servlet spec and while I think it's a very nice
idea, it doesn't work well if the request resource rely on some session
objects which wouldn't be available with the new session.

--
Dennis Dai
ddai@ddai.net