tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Graff, David" <david.gr...@cingular.com>
Subject RE: Login question
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 19:36:47 GMT
I remembered seeing something about adding an additional callback to the
JAAS authentication
mechanism but I'm at a loss to tell you where it was that I saw this.

Hope someone else reading the list might know what I'm referring to.

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Smith [mailto:ssmith@mainstreamdata.com]
Sent: Monday, August 16, 2004 3:33 PM
To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
Subject: Login question

I have configured Tomcat 4.x to provide login's via a jdbcRealm which
connects to my database.  I setup a login.jsp page with the appropriate
j_* fields for the user name and password.  All of this seems to work
fine.  Users get validated; appropriate roles get set.

I also want to know the timezone of the user when they login.  I've
written some javascript to place this information in a hidden field in
my login.jsp file (the client-side javascript gets the timezone
information and places it in the hidden field).  I then created a filter
which gets accessed as the user leaves the login page to capture the
timezone field and write it to the database.  I use a filter, because I
don't know what page the user was trying to access and so I want to
catch it out of the login regardless of what page it goes to next (after
authentication).

The problem is that it appears that Tomcat has tossed all of the login
request information after validating the user and therefore, my timezone
hidden field is no where to be found.

Any suggestions as to how I might do this or what (if anything) I'm
doing wrong?

Scott