tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nandish Rudra <nru...@calleci.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat 5.0.27 Set Up Problem
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 16:37:01 GMT
Hello ,

If you look closely the instructions are for installation of tomcat 4 not 5.

Nandish Rudra

-----Original Message-----
From: Caroline Jen [mailto:jiapei_jen@yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2004 12:40 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat 5.0.27 Set Up Problem

But, the Tomcat is not configured properly!!  I was
able to start the server.  Nonetheless, when I typed
http://localhost:8080 in the Windows XP browser's
address bar, I got "HTTP Status 404"!!!

I primarily followed Marty's Hall's instruction for
configuration at the web site
http://www.moreservlets.com/Using-Tomcat-4.html

Nonetheless, I think his instruction is sort of out of
date. Here is what I have done:

1. (done) downloaded and unzipped
jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27

2. (problem) Marty Hall says "To enable it, uncomment
the following line in the
C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\conf\server.xml:"
<Context path="" docBase="ROOT" debug="0"/>

But, I do not find <Context path="" docBase="ROOT"
debug="0"/>
in the server.xml. I installed the Tomcal 4.1.18
before, the
<Context ... > tag was there.

3. (done) I have followed Marty Hall's instruction and
enabled the invoker servlet by uncommenting the
following servlet-mapping element in
C:\jarkata-tomcat-5.0.27/conf/web.xml

<servlet-mapping>
<servlet-name>invoker</servlet-name>
<url-pattern>/servlet/*</url-pattern>
</servlet-mapping>

4. (problem) Marty Hall says to "turn on servlet
reloading" by insert the following line:
<DefaultContext reloadable="true"/>

just below the comment "<!-- Define properties for
each web application. This is only needed if you want
to set non-default properties, or have web application
document roots in places other than the virtual host's
appBase
directory. -->

I DO NOT FIND that comment in the
C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\conf\server.xml anymore!

5. (done) set the JAVA_HOME variable

6. (not necessary) change DOS memory settings: If you
use an older version of Windows, you may also have to
change the DOS memory settings for the startup and
shutdown scripts.

I am using the Windows XP; therefore, I do not think
that I have to change DOS memeroy settings.

7. I edited C:\jakarta-tomcat-5.0.27\bin\catalina.bat
and inserted the following after the first set of
comments:

if not "%JAVA_HOME%" == "" goto gotJavaHome
set JAVA_HOME=C:\j2sdk1.4.0_02
:gotJavaHome

8. (done) The "Automatically detect settings" checkbox
in IExplorer Connections is unchecked.

9. (problem) Internet Explorer --> Tools --> Internet
Options -->
Connections --> Lan Settings --> check the box of
Bypass proxy server for local addresses

The Bypass proxy server for local addresses is grayed
out, I cannot check the box.

tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org