tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Peter Lin <wool...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SunONE versus Tomcat performance
Date Tue, 03 Aug 2004 12:38:27 GMT
having used SunOne in the past, I would agree 2-5x faster is not
likely or even possible.  SunOne is a combination of the old Netscape
code, jvm and the reference implementation of the servlet spec.

In practice, it is no different than servlet containers that use
native library for handling sockets. The last time I benchmarked
Netscape on a real application, it was slower than tomcat 4.1.x.  The
configuration and debugging mode of SunOne is also a pain to use and
often didn't work correctly.

As usual, the only way to know which is better is to write your app
and stick to the standard API. Once you have the app done, benchmark
the app on both and get real data. Developers should know better than
take benchmarks as "truth". At best they're only reference points and
baseline data. When you consider most servlet containers are already
in their 4th/5th release and everyone has had plenty of time to
optimize performance and scalability, the differences are not going to
be significant at this point.

peter