tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Williams, Mark L CIV NSWC-PC" <mark.l.willi...@navy.mil>
Subject RE: JSTL / MYSQL JDBC / TOMCAT 5
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 12:40:12 GMT
Again, I appreciate the feedback. We are working in a rather controlled
environment these days and it turns out that the Java plug-in won't go,
so the whole applet idea looks to be a non-starter anyway. Live and
learn. (or not, I guess...)

VR/
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: QM [mailto:qm300@brandxdev.net]
Sent: Tuesday, August 24, 2004 1:08
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JSTL / MYSQL JDBC / TOMCAT 5

On Mon, Aug 23, 2004 at 09:09:45AM -0400, Williams, Mark L CIV NSWC-PC
wrote:
: That said, are there any observations about the feasibility of using
: Swing for building GUIs to be used via browser?

Using the web as a conduit for applets (Swing apps) defeats the purpose
of the web's "thin-client" design. ;) If you want a web-based app, aim
for thin technologies -- that is, server-side computations and resources
-- and you can save yourself some headaches.

: I find too many
: unexpected browser peculiarities when trying to do anything too
: complicated (probably just me, but...) and would like to use something
: more definitively controlled (or more predictable in operation). All
my
: users will be using MS Internet Explorer, typically v5.5.

If you have control over the deployment environment then you can go
whole-hog with browser-specific markup and javascript.  Many companies
do this internally and it simplifies testing, deployment, etc.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com