tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Williams, Mark L CIV NSWC-PC" <mark.l.willi...@navy.mil>
Subject RE: JSTL / MYSQL JDBC / TOMCAT 5
Date Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:09:45 GMT
Thanks, that worked. I also appreciate the reference to the XML
validator.

That said, are there any observations about the feasibility of using
Swing for building GUIs to be used via browser? I find too many
unexpected browser peculiarities when trying to do anything too
complicated (probably just me, but...) and would like to use something
more definitively controlled (or more predictable in operation). All my
users will be using MS Internet Explorer, typically v5.5. Googling gives
several old articles on needing plug-ins and the like; any more current
experiences available? If Swing is not practical, how are folks handling
this kind of issue?

TIA...
Mark

-----Original Message-----
From: QM [mailto:qm300@brandxdev.net]
Sent: Friday, August 20, 2004 16:15
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: JSTL / MYSQL JDBC / TOMCAT 5

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 05:11:09PM -0400, Williams, Mark L CIV NSWC-PC
wrote:
: Here's the extract from the example. Would anyone like to tell me how
: fix it (if I leave it as-is, not only is there no XML tag at the top,
: but I get a "XML document structures must start and end within the
same
: entity." error)? I'll learn it some day, but if I had leisure, I
: wouldn't be asking for help...
: ===============extract starts here==============
: <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
:     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
:     xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
: http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
:     version="2.4">
: <web-app>

Long story short: XML tags are like parentheses or curly braces in code;
they must balance.

What you have here is the equivalent of

	{
		{

		}

aka, no closing "}"

Take out the second "<web-app>" tag.
If you're too short on time to learn XML, invest in a validation tool.
A free one comes with Expat, something like "xmlwf."

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com