tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Summit <...@eskimo.com>
Subject connection pool problems, etc.
Date Sat, 07 Aug 2004 00:19:42 GMT
It looks like lots of people are having various kinds of problems
involving pools, and threads, and connections (perhaps to databases),
and starvation, and hanging, and such.  (In fact, it was to ask
about just such a problem that I joined this list.)  I don't have
all the information yet, but I've discovered that my problems
were probably due to -- or at least seem to have been fixed by
updating -- a couple of .jar files:

  * The Jakarta common classes commons-dbcp.jar and commons-pool.jar

  * The Oracle JDBC driver classes12.jar or ojdbc14.jar

As I understand it, both Jakarta and Oracle have recently had
to fix bugs in these classes which involved pools, and threads,
and connections, and starvation, and hanging, and such.

The new versions of the Jakarta classes are
commons-dbcp-1.2.1.jar and commons-pool-1.2.jar, and I
downloaded them from http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/.

The new versions of the Oracle JDBC drivers come with newer
versions of Oracle, or can (so my dba tells me) be downloaded
from Oracle's site.

(Apologies if this is old news to everyone.)

					Steve Summit
					scs@eskimo.com