tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Steve Summit <...@eskimo.com>
Subject horrible problems with TC4.1 under RedHat Advanced Server
Date Sun, 01 Aug 2004 13:22:06 GMT
I've got a big, complicated web application (too complicated to
go into the details of here), and I'm having problems moving from
Red Hat 9 to Red Hat Advanced Server / Enterprise Server.
(The move is for support reasons.)

Things were working basically okay under Red Hat 9.
But under Advanced Server or Enterprise Server, I have these two
problems:

1. Some pretty high percentage of the time, Tomcat fails to
   start.  After invoking "catalina.sh start", I get the errors

	Another exception has been detected while we were handling last error.
	Dumping information about last error:
	ERROR REPORT FILE = (N/A)
	PC                = 0x00000000
	SIGNAL            = 11
	FUNCTION NAME     = (N/A)
	OFFSET            = 0xFFFFFFFF
	LIBRARY NAME      = (N/A)

   Simply retrying the command usually works, although sometimes
   it takes three tries.

2. Much more seriously, my web apps have been mysteriously hanging.
   They don't tend to crash or burn or emit error messages, they
   just... stop... responding.  In one case (that is, for one of
   my applications) they seem to hang after acquiring and holding
   certain database resources, which ends up meaning that other
   applications running on other servers also accessing that
   database also hang.

   In some cases these hangs are accompanied by the messages

	org.apache.tomcat.util.threads.ThreadPool logFull
	SEVERE: All threads (75) are currently busy, waiting.
	Increase maxThreads (75) or check the servlet status

   I increased maxThreads (and maxProcessors, since the
   documentation is inconsistent) to 200, but now I just get
   "All threads (200) are currently busy, waiting".  Furthermore,
   it's not clear whether this thread exhaustion is the primary
   cause of my problems, or just one of the symptoms.

I suspect that there's some pernicious incompatibility between
this version of Tomcat, this version of j2sdk, and the C
libraries in these releases of RedHat.  (When I built these
machines, I think I had to manually install a C compatibility
library to get Java to work at all.)

There was a message to this list a month or so ago from
Harald Henkel describing some similar-sounding problems, but
it doesn't look like he got an answer.  He mentioned setting
LD_ASSUME_KERNEL to 2.4.1, and I'm going to try this, but it
sounded like that only slightly ameliorated, but didn't fix,
his problem.

Anybody got any ideas?  Has this sort of thing happened before?
(Web searches haven't really turned up anything.)
Is there something I'm missing?

Here are the exact details of what I'm running:

	Jakarta Tomcat 4.1.30
	j2sdk 1.4.2_04

Working system:

	Red Hat Linux release 9 (Shrike)
	kernel 2.4.20-8smp

Troublesome systems:

	Red Hat Enterprise Linux ES release 3 (Taroon)
	kernel 2.4.21-4.ELsmp

	Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 3 (Taroon Update 1)
	kernel 2.4.21-9.ELsmp

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

					Steve Summit
					scs@eskimo.com