tomcat-users mailing list archives

From jbla...@graphtronics.net
Subject RE: Tomcat 4.1.30 ThreadPool.adjustLimits
Date Tue, 24 Aug 2004 18:30:53 GMT
Yoav,

Thanks for the + feedback. Apologies for response delay - I'm digest only
and also had wicked work backlog past couple weeks. Will submit a Bugzillia
item as requested.

Additional questions seem relevant prior to that (in the "be careful what
you ask for..." department ;-). With the outlined patch (MAX_THREAD_MIN=2)
in place...

(1) I config minProcessors="1", maxProcessors="2" and I appear to get
servicing of a single request. Increment maxProcessers and I get concurrent
servicing of 2 requests, and so on. What exactly is the additional thread
used for (shutdown listener? thread pool manager? something else?). From an
audit trail perspective, this would seem to be valuable information to
retain in the context of any change.

(2) When I stack up requests to a given server - throw a lot of concurrent
requests at it - I see one of the following entries in the (catalina.out)
log file:

[ERROR] ThreadPool - -All threads (2) are currently busy, waiting. Increase
maxThreads (2) or check the servlet status

SEVERE: All threads (2) are currently busy, waiting. Increase maxThreads (2)
or check the servlet status

The above generated (indirectly) out of ThreadPool.runIt() when it has to
block on a "run thread" request.
This anything to worry about? I do have acceptCount="6" set for what that's
worth...

Regards,

 -Jim Layer-