tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: JSTL / MYSQL JDBC / TOMCAT 5
Date Fri, 20 Aug 2004 21:14:56 GMT
On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 05:11:09PM -0400, Williams, Mark L CIV NSWC-PC wrote:
: Here's the extract from the example. Would anyone like to tell me how to
: fix it (if I leave it as-is, not only is there no XML tag at the top,
: but I get a "XML document structures must start and end within the same
: entity." error)? I'll learn it some day, but if I had leisure, I
: wouldn't be asking for help...
: ===============extract starts here==============
: <web-app xmlns="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee"
:     xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance"
:     xsi:schemaLocation="http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee
: http://java.sun.com/xml/ns/j2ee/web-app_2_4.xsd"
:     version="2.4">
: <web-app>

Long story short: XML tags are like parentheses or curly braces in code;
they must balance.

What you have here is the equivalent of

	{
		{

		}

aka, no closing "}"

Take out the second "<web-app>" tag.
If you're too short on time to learn XML, invest in a validation tool.
A free one comes with Expat, something like "xmlwf."

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com