tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: CGI and exe
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2004 13:33:35 GMT
On Tue, Aug 17, 2004 at 09:45:24AM +0100, Colin Hearn wrote:
: I am using tomcat 4 and would like to run an windows exe from within
: tomcat. The exe is to search a cds/isis bibliographic data store that we
: have.
:
: I have followed the instructions from
: http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/cgi-howto.html

"CGI" and "running an executable within the server" aren't always the
same thing.  In the former case, you're letting clients call the
executable when they hit a certain URL; in the latter, you're using the
excutable internally within Tomcat (Runtime#exec()) almost like a data
source.

I'm none too familiar with the Windows execution model so I can't say
whether Runtime#exec() will have any terrible overhead, etc; but there
are usually alternatives to calling an executable directly from Java.

Does this exe's vendor have an API, or web services addon, or some other
way to access the data without calling the exe directly?

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com