tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: database information
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 14:02:53 GMT
On Mon, Aug 09, 2004 at 07:11:24PM -0400, Jignesh Patel wrote:
: I want to inform to my application that database server is down so in
: turn display appropriate error page to users. As well as all connections
: should get closed in the pool.

You're overthinking this. =)

When the database is down (or otherwise unavailable) attempts to use
DB-related objects (Connection, Statement, ResultSet, etc) will yield
SQLExceptions.

In turn, that exception (or even better, an app-specific exception that
shields code up the chain from datasource-specific exceptions) will get
passed back to the presentation layer, at which point you can serve an
appropriate error page.

For example, assuming a simple Page Controller setup for some use case:
your code will do some processing and dispatch to an appropriate view.
If the code is successful, dispatch to the "success" page.  If you catch
a data-related exception, dispatch to the "database error" page.

This is why I said before, there's no need to tell the app that the DB
is down: it will know.  ;)

There are certainly other (and more complicated) ways to handle this,
which will all do pretty much the same as what I've outlined above.

It sounds like you're more familiar with stateful/fat clients that
maintain a constant connection to the central server, and that you can
send them a message when the DB is down.  HTTP doesn't offer such
server-push functionality, just client-pull.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com