tomcat-users mailing list archives

From QM <qm...@brandxdev.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat Servlet.init() error
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 03:24:41 GMT
On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 11:14:50PM -0400, missioncoder@hotmail.com wrote:
: Configuration: Solaris 9, Apache 1.3, Tomcat 4.0.1, default JSDK

First of all, is there any reason you're using Tomcat 4.0?   This
version is no longer under active development.  4.1 or, even better, 5.0
have a wider user base.  Upgrading would significantly improve your
chances of getting support via the list, were you to encounter a
version-specific problem.

: I'm new to Tomcat and I recently changed some of the configuration
: files while deploying
: my web application.  After doing so I encountered this problem for some time,

Specifically, what did you change?
Did the problem persist when you rolled back said changes?

: Each time I attempt to display a JSP page
: I get the following error:
:
:  [snip]
:  Apache Tomcat 4.0.1 HTTP Status 500 - Internal Server Error
: javax.servlet.ServletException: Servlet.init() for servlet jsp threw
: exceptionetc... root cause java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError:
: org/apache/tomcat/logging/Logger

NoClassDefFoundError usually indicates some kind of class mismatch --
either you have a duplicate (and newer) log4j JAR in the runtime mix, or
you've built and deployed using different versions.

-QM

--

software  -- http://www.brandxdev.net
tech news -- http://www.RoarNetworX.com