tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kaleb Pederson <kpeder...@mail.ewu.edu>
Subject Subclassing ServletOutputStream/PrintWriter
Date Mon, 02 Aug 2004 22:25:29 GMT
I'm receiving a committed response object in an Servlet that I wrote.  As the
response is committed, as far as I can tell, I need to create a custom
HttpServletResponseWrapper. But as the response object is committed, it needs
to use a new print writer or output stream.  So, as far as I can tell I need
to do the following steps:

1) Subclass HttpServletResponse wrapper which overrides getWriter() and
getOutputStream().
2) Subclass PrintWriter (so getWriter will return a non-committed object)
3) Subclass ServletOutputStream (so getOutputStream will return a
non-committed object.)

Although I know write(int) needs to be implemented by ServletOutputStream, I
don't see how that would be nearly sufficient?  How does Tomcat get at the
buffer associated with an output stream so that it can send it to the client?
What should my required steps be?

Thanks for the help.

--Kaleb