tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "d_l" <ahl1jw...@sneakemail.com>
Subject Re: Newbie - JDBC problem "Name is not bound in this context"
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 10:15:39 GMT
Can you clarify what version of Tomcat you are using?

It seems that there is a configuration change .. from Tomcat4 to Tomcat5 ..

the context goes in to \conf\Catalina\localhost\<webappname>.xml .. for each
webapp.

Here is a reference I found in my own digging around ..

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/config/context.html

which states ..
Please note that for tomcat 5.x, unlike tomcat 4.x, it is NOT recommended to place
<Context> elements directly in the server.xml file. Instead, put them in the META-
INF/context.xml directory of your WAR file or the conf directory as described above.

BUT .. in my Tomcat 5.0.27 ..  I only see three <webappname>.xml files in above
location ..

admin.xml
balancer.xml
manager.xml

no other <webappname>.xml files (context.xml files) show up such as

jsp-examples.xml
servlets-examples.xml

I don't understand why you have jsp-examples.xml and I don't see that file (only the
three above).

" so I added just the ResourceLink to jsp-examples.xml,
bounced Tomcat, and VOILA!!!  It worked!! "

Where is the default context information when there is no <webappname>.xml?
There is no context entry in server.xml.

And I confirm that there is no webapps\examples\in my configuration ..

replaced, it seems, by the two separate webapps above.

I'm still puzzled.