tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Stephen Charles Huey" <>
Subject Re: DBCP connection pooling by default?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:08:41 GMT
Whoops...I need an addendum.  The post can be found here:

----- Original message -----
From: "Stephen Charles Huey" <>
To: "Tomcat User" <>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 13:06:13 -0500
Subject: DBCP connection pooling by default?

The 8th post in this thread suggests that Tomcat uses DBCP
connection pooling by default:

That feature to indicate connection leaks sounds intriguing.  I found
the following in our server.xml and am wondering if this means we are
definitely using this Commons DBCP:

- <!--  Define the top level container in our container hierarchy
- <Engine name="Standalone" defaultHost="localhost" debug="0">
- <DefaultContext crossContext="true">
  <Resource name="jdbc/myResource" auth="Container"
  type="javax.sql.DataSource" />
- <ResourceParams name="jdbc/myResource">
- <parameter>

I think we are NOT using it because we have some Java classes that are
intended to handle connection pooling, and they look similar to some of
the textbook ones floating around online.  I'm just wondering if there
would be connection pooling in place with the above XML if we didn't
somehow override that with our own connection pooling classes.  One
other thing is that we currently have to use the JDBC-ODBC bridge, so I
don't know if that would have anything to do with it.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: