tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: serialized objects invalidating session
Date Tue, 10 Aug 2004 14:54:16 GMT
This is all based purely on my observation of Tomcat behavior and hasn't been
verified by looking at the code.  With that said....

Recent versions of Tomcat will trash the serialized session if any of the
objects stored there are not Serializable.  In the past, non-serializable
objects would cause exception to be thrown in an attempt to deserialize them,
but the serializable objects of the session survived.  It is all or none now.  I
suspect that there is at least one non-serializable object in your session.  It
might not even be something you are meaning to put there.  It might be something
added by the presentation framework you are using without your knowledge.

I'd bet that it all works for you in a simple test of adding a string to the
session.  You'll just have to fetter out which object is the non-serializable
one.  Keep in mind that a non-serializable member variable of an otherwise
serializable object will cause a deserialization exception.

Jake