tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jignesh Patel <jpa...@bangtechnology.com>
Subject Re: [OFF TOPIC] J2EE/Tomcat Build Process
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 19:47:43 GMT
I don't understand if all the developers is not having TC installed,
how they will check the code is logically working before integrating
with main code.

In my 6 years experience I haven't thought of the situation that more
then one developer is depending on only one server.

-Jignesh

On Mon, 2004-08-09 at 04:30, Allistair Crossley wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I am currently trying to streamline our team's build process here using Tomcat as our
servlet container.

> For a while the way I had it setup was that we had 1 instance of TC running on a dev
server and 1 instance on production. Each developer would checkout only the code they will
work on from VSS. They would not have read-only latest version copies of the other source
on their disks. They would then use an Ant build script to compile their checked out classes
directly to TC's classes, and a separate Ant target for copying JSPs and so on to the webapp
folder.

> This method as far as I was concerned got around the code overwrite problem - where if
both developers had a version of all source using a Get Latest Version, each time they compile
they would overwrite the same instance compiled classes.

> Recently, I have installed a TC per developer on the server. My idea is that we will
use the Eclipse VSS plugin and WILL all perform Get Latest Version. However, because each
dev has their own dev instance, they will not overwrite any changes by other developers on
source they have not got checked out.

> Then, I am thinking, each developer must only ever checkin stable compilable source,
so that when other devs Get Latest Version from the root of the source tree, it will still
compile.

> When I do a build, I am thinking that all source must be checked in, then a Get Latest
Version, then run an Ant script to compile and generate a WAR for staging and production deployment.

> Finally, I have just this second had a call from IT saying the 3 instances on our dev
 server are brining virtual memory to its knees - which begs another question - should each
developer have a locally installed TC rather than server based?

> I would be very interested in others' development/deploy processes with mult-developer
Tomcat environments to cross-check my ideas.