tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Keith Bottner" <kbott...@comcast.net>
Subject DBCP and SingleSignOn
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2004 21:58:56 GMT
It does not appear that SingleSignOn uses DBCP, in fact it looks as if it
opens a single connection the first time it is used and then attempts to
re-use that connection indefinitely. From my understanding on how Tomcat
works there would only be a single SignSignOn Valve instance so everyone
attempting to sign in would be trying to use the same connection. In
addition it also has the side effect that if your DB is on the other side of
a firewall and no one signs in for some time and your firewall kills unused
connections that the next time someone attempts to sign on the application
appears to stall as Tomcat, SingleSignOn and your database try to figure out
why you got a SocketException.

So my question is... Is there any reason why SingleSignOn does NOT use DBCP?
And is my logic above right that everyone signing in is going to be trying
to use the same database connection?

Thanks for any insight that you can give me...

Keith

Have you ever noticed that the word 'complaint' and 'compliant' are spelled
almost the same except the transposition of a single letter. I wonder why
that is?