tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shaun Campbell" <sha...@uk2.net>
Subject Getting 404 error deploying my servlet
Date Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:01:29 GMT
I've developed a servlet on my windows laptop using a product called Turbine and it normally
starts using http://localhost:8080/apt/servlet/apt.

I'm now trying to deploy this to a Linux server running Redhat Linux and SSL.  I've tarred
the webapp up into a war file and transferred it to my Linux server and Tomcat has unpacked
it.  I've restarted Tomcat and no matter what I do I keep getting a 404 error saying that
resource apt/servlet/apt is not available.

I'm running Tomcat 4.1.30 and I've installed Java 1.4.  SSL and Tomcat seems to be working
ok as I can run the standard applications using https://servername:8443/examples/servlet/HelloWorldExample.
 I can even copy this example into my apt webapp classes directory and get it to run but I
cannot get my application to run.  To check my war file is ok I copied it into another Tomcat
setup I have on my Windows machine and it works okay so I'm at a loss to see why it doesn't
work straight away on my Linux server.

The only thing I can see that is going on is this message in my logfile:

StandardContext[/apt]: Resource start failed:
java.lang.IllegalArgumentException:Document base /usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.30/webapps/../server/webapps/apt
does not exist or is not a readable directory

I can see this is wrong as there is an extra "../server/webapps" in there.  Any ideas where
this is coming from or what else I can try to get this going?  I've tried everything and am
clean out of ideas.

Regards

Shaun Campbell