tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Laurence Arabia" <ufo_mecha...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: AGAIN: How can you deploy an application onto a specific host?
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2004 22:19:21 GMT

I can only tell you how I do it Gents but I am not sure if its suitable. I
have a NFS mount (Samba) which has my war but generall I dont jar it cause I
can just use a file system with the same dir structure.

web/
web/WEB-INF
web/etc....

then I go to the host I want to deploy it on
and type
http://hosttodeployon/manager/deploy?path=somewebcontext&war=file://home/myhome/somewebcontext/build

somewebcontext being the  http://hosttodeployon/somewebcontext

also ant can do this for you automatically

Now the mount is over a number of machines so I can deploy and test over
multiples. But if I want to upgrade a machine some where else I would use
scp as the manager is not safe to have on a production enviroment (My
paranoia not casting aspiritions (You say similar in your own docs Tomcat
developers)) There is a attr in server.xml so that when somewebcontext.war
is copied over it deploys over it again. Sorry cant find it now as I am at
home.

I realise what you may have been looking for was someway to upload the war
through the manager but to do that I would just copy over the existing war.