tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Jon Doe" <mobilephant...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: How does the deploy descriptor work?
Date Sat, 24 Jul 2004 01:19:55 GMT
Thanks for your reply. I've still a question, given what you have said.

>You might want to revisit a few key elements of the Deployment
>Descriptor as explained in the Servlet Specification.  These include:
>- The use of welcome-file to serve the resource /.  You typically do NOT
>want to define a servlet at url-pattern /.

As I'm not using JSP or HTML files directly (at least for the time being) I
tried putting servlet reference to the welcome-file and that worked. So I've
got rid of the / -- so that's cool. Thanks for the tip.

>- url-pattern does not include the docBase, but rather it's relative to
>the docBase.  So for http://yourhost/yourwebsite/Login, the url-pattern
>is just /Login.
>
>Read the Servlet Specification, it answers your questions completely and
>in detail.  That's what it's for.

I re-read this. It seems to say there are only *two* wildcard options --
either /text/* or *.text. I'm not sure whether the *.text form will match
/some.text or just some.text.

So I've got my HTML form reference looking like this:

	<form action="register.reg" method="POST">

(Note no leading /. It didn't work when I had the slash.) So I then defined
this in the web.xml file:

	<servlet-mapping>
		<servlet-name>Register</servlet-name>
		<url-pattern>*.reg</url-pattern>
	</servlet-mapping>

However, this doesn't work. Any reasons why not? Beause I'm new to this I'm
not sure whether this is a syntax error here, or an error is my code.
Whereever I have logging in my server.xml file I've set the debug level to
9, so I don't miss anything. But it seems not to push out anything. So if
you confirm the above is correct, I'll focus on my code.

Thanks.

Joe.