tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Someone Else" <>
Subject A tomcat limitation?
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 16:46:24 GMT

I've got a system with about 150 virtual hosts running on standalone Tomcat

The system is behaving as follows:

After about 24 hrs it throws an outofmemory exception, but without maxing
out memory. I've run extensive profiling, as per QM's suggestion, and have
found that the applications do not leak memory.

Here's what I've noticed, though:

If I hammer one host it performs fine. No memory leak, no thread/handle
If I hammer sequentially at all hosts, it throws the exception by the time I
hit host 80 or so.

The only thing is that I check used memory throughout the process, and it
never exceeds it's limits - so it's not actually running out of memory!
Threads and handles are also fine.

So what's going on? Is there some kind of maximum number of virtual hosts
that Tomcat can handle? Will creating multiple tomcat instances help the

Above all - What is Tomcat running out of if it's not memory, threads or

Finally, I have 3 contexts per host - would this impact anything? These
contexts are defined in server.xml - would it be better if they were in the
web.xml of each app?

Any help would be appreciated.

Free yourself from those irritating pop-up ads with MSn Premium. Get 2months

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message