tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Aris Javier" <ajav...@eazix.com>
Subject RE: OT? Netbeans v Eclipse v Visual Age for Java
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2004 01:25:42 GMT
i've been using eclipse for a long time.. it's a great IDE...
as for Netbeans... i did install it.. but never use it because
of HUGE memory allocation...

stayed with eclipse... =)

-----Original Message-----
From: Sternbergh, Cornell [mailto:rsternberg@state.pa.us]
Sent: Thursday, July 08, 2004 12:50 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: OT? Netbeans v Eclipse v Visual Age for Java

Hi

Saw the references to Eclipes, and then Netbeans.  I know that this may
be a bit off topic, please forgive me...

We use Visual Age for Java (VAJ) at work, with Websphere app server and
Domino HTTP server (don't ask why;-).  I'm planning on using
Tomcat/Eclipse at home as an exercise for the student.  I'd like the IDE
to be similar to VAJ, so my experience is more useful at work.

What about Netbeans, is it similar enough to VAJ or Eclipse that what I
learn from it will be applicable?  As far as programming in Java is
concerned, any number of things could be used.  I'd like to have project
structure, HTML/JSP/Java file storage, packaging, deploying, etc. to be
fairly similar.  As well as basic debugging techniques.

Thank you for your patience
Cornell Sternbergh