tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Nitschke Michael" <mnitsc...@mbi.co.at>
Subject RE: Java Class is not compiling
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 07:30:07 GMT
It seams you are new to Java too.
The error messages say that the compiler could not find the jar file
javax.jar, or servlet.jar depends on your java version.
The package statement at the first line is necessary to group java
classes in domains that have the same functionality or fit tematiclly
together.
Like
com.company.database  // all database relevant classes
com.company.gui		// all gui relevant classes.

Furthermore i would recommend that you read a javabook or take the java
trial at java.sun.com, it imparts the basics of java and some higher
approaches.

mfg
Michael Nitschke
-----Original Message-----
From: Sayeed [mailto:sayeed@sitara.com.pk]
Sent: Tuesday, July 27, 2004 9:19 AM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Java Class is not compiling

Sir
I am new to Tomcat.
I am now making my first Servlet and trying to creat a class (sayeed).
It give me errors as under :

C:\Apache\Tomcat\webapps\ch03\myfirstwebapp>javac sayeed.java
sayeed.java:5: package javax.servlet.http does not exist
import javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet;
                          ^
sayeed.java:6: package javax.servlet.http does not exist

---
Also another thing what is the PACKAGE which have to write in first line
of
my servlet(sayeed):

package com.wrox.projsp.ch03.myfirstwebapp;

Can anyone please help me in detail. I have however downloaded Javax
directory from sun.java.com- where this directory i have to put? i am
using
j2sdk1.4.2.

Thanx in advance.

Saeed