tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: How do you set cache-control for static (gif, jpg) resources
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 13:40:12 GMT

Hi,

>Previously I was calling doChain at the end of my doFilter method.
>
>Making the change you suggest, calling doChain at the top like
<snip />
>DOES NOT INSERT any of my changes into the response stream. If I do it
like
>this:
<snip />
>Then I get two additions in the response stream.
>
>Any more ideas?

That's a bit strange.  Are you wrapping the response or setting these
headers elsewhere?  Can you print out to the log a listing of all the
response headers at the end of your filter?

The addHeader method allows for multiple values, but many readers will
only see the first.  So if something in your code sets the cache-control
header, then you call it again, the header will be present twice with
two values (which is legal in the HTTP protocol for most headers).

As an aside, you can read the enumeration of the init parameters in the
filter's init method, store it in some member variable, and that will
improve the performance of your filter because you won't have to do it
on every request.

Yoav Shapira