tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Broken pipe exception with every request!
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2004 12:50:37 GMT
Hi,
As the error message hints, a common cause for this exception is the
client closing the browser while you're generating the page.  People do
that often when they run into error pages, e.g. as soon as they see the
404 header. I don't know what the rest of your 404.jsp does, but you
should try to make it a very simple and quick page (preferably a static
one).

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

So, I
>checked tomcat's log and found a whole bunch of these:
>
>2004-07-27 08:09:31 org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve@15ad1da:
>Exception Processing ErrorPage[errorCo
>de=404, location=/404.jsp]
>ClientAbortException:  java.net.SocketException: Broken pipe
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer.doFlush(OutputBuffer.java:331)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.OutputBuffer.flush(OutputBuffer.java:297)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteResponse.flushBuffer(CoyoteResponse.jav
a:53
>7
>)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteResponseFacade.flushBuffer(CoyoteRespon
seFa
>ade.java:238)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.status(StandardHostValve.jav
a:30
>3
>)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardHostValve.invoke(StandardHostValve.jav
a:14
>7
>)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveC
onte
>t.java:104)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.valves.ErrorReportValve.invoke(ErrorReportValve.jav
a:11
>7
>)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveC
onte
>t.java:102)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
520)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardEngineValve.invoke(StandardEngineValve
.jav
>:109)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardValveContext.invokeNext(StandardValveC
onte
>t.java:104)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.StandardPipeline.invoke(StandardPipeline.java:
520)
>        at
>org.apache.catalina.core.ContainerBase.invoke(ContainerBase.java:929)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.tomcat5.CoyoteAdapter.service(CoyoteAdapter.java:160)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Processor.process(Http11Processor.java:7
99)
>        at
>org.apache.coyote.http11.Http11Protocol$Http11ConnectionHandler.process
Conn