tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Migrating from TC3.3.1 to TC4.1.30 What's changed?
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2004 13:01:18 GMT

Hi,
Many things changed, including fairly dramatic changes in the
configuration.  It's at least a 2-major-release jump after all.

Tomcat 5 supports more configuration of applications via their own xml
context configuration files than tomcat 4 does.  You may want to migrate
to Tomcat 5 instead of 4 at this point.

There's not one central changelog for tomcat 3 and 4 that I'm aware of,
but all releases of both branches contain release notes that detail the
changes.  For Tomcat 5 we've been keeping a more, umm, user-friendly
changelog at
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-5.0-doc/changelog.html.

I suggest reading at least the key Tomcat configuration documentation
pages to give you an idea of how things work, rather than focusing on
the change logs.  For Tomcat 4, see
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/config/index.html and
the Context and Host pages linked from it especially.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium Research Informatics

conf/apps-APPNAME.xml.