tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Iván Escobedo <iescob...@nacion.co.cr>
Subject RE: Problem with jdbc:odbc in Tomcat 5.025
Date Thu, 22 Jul 2004 21:43:50 GMT
I used the installer version of TC 5.0.27 in my home, tonight i'm gonna make the test of the
privileges and tomorrow i'll have an answer

-----Mensaje original-----
De: Wade Chandler [mailto:wchandler@redesetgrow.com]
Enviado el: Jueves, 22 de Julio de 2004 01:10 p.m.
Para: Tomcat Users List
Asunto: Re: Problem with jdbc:odbc in Tomcat 5.025

Iván Escobedo wrote:

> Wade, I have new information, I tried to replicate this problem with both tomcats at
my home, and I found two issues:

> 1.  Tomcat 5.0.27 only works in standalone mode.
> 2.  Both Tomcats work only if it access a "User DNS"; at my job, it works weather I use
a "System or User DNS".

i start it in service mode and now it works.  What the...?
>>I really don't know what happened, i just now that now it works.
>>
>>Any insights?

in Windows is that the program must know it's a service and log into and network drives or
data bases itself.  Do you have your data source set to read a file on a networked drive?

>>Bob
>>

>>On Wednesday 21 July 2004 04:30 pm, Iván Escobedo wrote:
>>

>>>Yes Wade, I started Tomcat 5.1 as a standalone and it works, could it
>>>be that the service doesnn't load some jars? Another thing you have
>>>to know is that the app is accesing a System DNS .

> I don't have any real idea other than maybe there was a file that tomcat probably was
not able to create...one that may have been created by running it in standalone mode.

> Maybe it wasn't able to create a certain temp file or what ever under it's own working
directories and somehow that caused it to pass invalid info to the underlying odbc driver.

> That's about the only thing I can think of.  Since you ran it as the your user and created
a file it may have then been able to read it though it wasn't able to create it.

> I would have to see all the code in tomcat and the code inside of the jdbc odbc bridge
classes and trace down in it to be sure, but usually it is something like that when it comes
to security and an app working after running it as another user with more privileges.

> One thing is for sure...it wasn't magic...just allusive.  ;-)
>
> Wade

Do you mean TC 5.0.27 only works against a User DNS even in standalone mode?  Just clarifying.
 Is anyone else reading this thread getting the same type of an error that might be able to
help out by adding some more detail to this thread.  I think it definitely boils down to a
security issue.

Did you use the TC installer for windows, or did you unzip the tomcat installation and setup
the service manually?  I would track down which user is the owner of the running service.
 Then I would give that user permissions to the tomcat server directories (recursively).
See if that helps anything.  Also be sure that user has at least read access to your entire
JVM directory (recursively) and can write to any temp directories setup for that user.

One time I had to give a user access to certain areas of the registry for some odbc stuff
I was working on.  This may be what is happening to you as well.  I was using ODBC, Access,
and nameless ODBC entries.

Wade