tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Michael DiChiappari <mdichiapp...@domanisoft.com>
Subject RE: System suggestions? Eclipse / Tomcat / JBoss
Date Wed, 21 Jul 2004 13:18:18 GMT
It sounds like you are on the right track.  If you are doing EJBs, then you
can use JBoss.  Tomcat is just a servlet container.  You may also want to
consider (when its ready) Apache/Jakarta's J2EE app server.  I think it is
called Geronimo.

JBoss comes in different flavors.  We have used the one with Tomcat built
in (to handle servlets).    Eventually we will want to hook this up to Apache.

We have NOT had much success in getting Tomcat to work well with Apache.  I
would advice against going down that path (especially if you are on
Linux).  Someday we will probably try to get JBoss to work with Apache and
I dread the day.  I am hoping the JBoss documentation and support people
will be helpful.  Unfortunately, the Jakarta Tomcat group is one of the
worst open source efforts I have seen.  My guess is that the do-ocracy has
turned into a political mess there, with the most ineffective people
providing the interface to the (developer) public.

There are lots of commercial alternatives to JBoss.  For developer
purposes, you can download and utilize just about any J2EE app server for
free.  The following companies provide developer versions of their app
servers: BEA (Weblogic), Macromedia (JRun), and Oracle (iAS).  The
appealing thing about using one of these, is that you can say that you have
experience on them.  Since they seem to be used by larger, more established
companies, that may translate into some dollars for you when seeking a new
job (unless JBoss can break into these markets).

If you are doing EJBs, then you'll need more than Eclipse.  We have used
the MyEclipse plugin and it is very nice.  It is a commercial product and
we licensed it for something like $29 per user (about 1/100th the cost of
JBuilder!).  It includes all the stuff (XDoclet, etc...) for deploying a
bean (setting up the deplopyment descriptors) and doing servlets/JSPs.  I
have heard good things about another J2EE pluging called Lomboz.  You may
want to check that out.

The thing I like about Eclipse is that it hides a lot of Java technologies
from you.  Thinks like Ant and XDoclet are a feat to learn on their
own.  However, the development environment hides most of these items from you.

Good luck.
Mike