tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Nelson <>
Subject Ant DeployTask / InstallTask
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:20:07 GMT

I'm using the ant DeployTask in two different scenarios.  One works as
desired, the other not so much.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm not
doing right.

Scenario 1: Deploy a packaged .war file.

This is works great.  The war parameter to the install task is
war="jar:file:/${basedir}/${dist}/${war.application}!/" (which obvious
resolves to a real file once the properties are set.  The problem is I
need to go through the whole undeploy, create war, deploy war cycle.

Scenario 2: Deploy a unpacked (exploded) web app (which exists on the

If I take the .war and explode it, and then try to add the directory
where it lives as follows:

It reports success, and shows up when the web applications are listed,
but it's not really set-up correctly because the file "web-inf/web.xml"
doesn't seem to be processed.  Here's why I think that:

INFO: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only

Note: I have also tried the InstallTask, and I've tried both 5.0.27 as
well as 4.1.30.

Really, my goal, and I don't care how I achieve it, is that during
development, I want to have tomcat serving the exploded version of the
app so I can make changes on the fly (or with a reload) instead of
having to undeploy, war, deploy with each change.  What's the best way
to do this?

Thanks in advance,

Christian Nelson -- (e) -- (m) 415-378-3988