tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christian Nelson <cnel...@slac.com>
Subject Ant DeployTask / InstallTask
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 23:20:07 GMT
Greetings,

I'm using the ant DeployTask in two different scenarios.  One works as
desired, the other not so much.  I'm trying to figure out what I'm not
doing right.

Scenario 1: Deploy a packaged .war file.

This is works great.  The war parameter to the install task is
war="jar:file:/${basedir}/${dist}/${war.application}!/" (which obvious
resolves to a real file once the properties are set.  The problem is I
need to go through the whole undeploy, create war, deploy war cycle.

Scenario 2: Deploy a unpacked (exploded) web app (which exists on the
server).

If I take the .war and explode it, and then try to add the directory
where it lives as follows:

war="file:/${basedir}/war/"

It reports success, and shows up when the web applications are listed,
but it's not really set-up correctly because the file "web-inf/web.xml"
doesn't seem to be processed.  Here's why I think that:

INFO: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only
StandardEngine[Catalina].StandardHost[localhost].StandardContext[/archiver]

Note: I have also tried the InstallTask, and I've tried both 5.0.27 as
well as 4.1.30.

Really, my goal, and I don't care how I achieve it, is that during
development, I want to have tomcat serving the exploded version of the
app so I can make changes on the fly (or with a reload) instead of
having to undeploy, war, deploy with each change.  What's the best way
to do this?

Thanks in advance,
Christian

--