tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Dennis Dai <ddai...@ddai.net>
Subject Re: Progamatically setting values of FORM elements
Date Fri, 30 Jul 2004 20:34:24 GMT
Well it's not part of the servlet spec and certainly should not be IMHO.

What you can do is to create a bean which sets those parameters from the
request, and pass it to the resulting JSP page. Then in the JSP page you
use getter methods (or EL variables) to populate those parameters. This
is usually used when there're errors in the submitted form and I'd
assume you're going to use it with the same purpose.

Various web application frameworks like struts or webwork/xwork will do
this automatically for you. (I'm using webwork/xwork right now and IMHO
it's much less complicated and more elegant than struts.) If you're
using your home grown framework, you can at least borrow ideas from
those other frameworks ...

On 7/30/2004 1:13 PM, Luc Foisy wrote:

> No concept of HTML. But it does have concept of parameters. When you submit a form, the
form contents are placed in a parameter. (in ServletRequest)
> There is no way that I know of to do the reverse, set those parameters on the response
and it will apply to the form elements.
> The browser stores the element values somewhere, just thought it might have been floating
around somewhere I could get it.

--
Dennis Dai
ddai@ddai.net